Thursday, October 6, 2011

Tess, Jude ect.

I have had a kindle for a few months now, and can honestly say, I still prefer printed copies of books. There may be less clutter around the house with a kindle, but, nothing beats the sight of a book on my nightstand. I wonder how many of the books I read as a child were a consequence of intriguing book covers I stumbled across in my parent's library. In my mind, I can still see Somerset Maugham's The Razor Edge, next to the Stories of the Operas, next to Best Quotes. Yes, it was an eclectic mix.
The kindle killed the joy of browsing (to be sung in a Video Killed the Radio Star way). And what greater joy is there for a self-confessed bookworm than browsing? True, with the closure of the last Borders in Singapore there may soon be no bookstores left at which to browse. And, I hate not being able to lend a book, I've just raved about, to a friend.
However, one undeniable perk of the kindle is downloading for free all the classics. As a consequence, I have been reading back-to-back Thomas Hardy. And loving it! Tess of the D'urbervilles may possibly be the best book I ever read.
Showing the homonymous BBC film to my nine year old..not so smart, but that's another blog.

3 comments:

  1. I love Thomas Hardy too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, the closing of Borders. We lost several stores here in San Antonio, including two signature stores that I used to take my three boys to at least once a week to browse, buy, and read when they were little. I read somewhere recently that bookstores don't just sell books, they sell reading. I mourned the loss of those Borders stores! Don't have a Kindle (yet?) but I think I would indeed miss the physical act of reading a book.

    Lisa Moon
    sanantoniomurals.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Lisa, I totally agree with you. Losing Borders was such a loss...so fun with the kids or even by myself. Take care and thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete