Second in line, for my newly introduced series: "10 Questions To An Expat" is mother of two, entrepreneur Belle Waring. I got to catch up with the stylish 'nobody wears vintage better,' queen of soul, over a slice of delicious home-made pecan pie. Yes, she cooks too.
1) How long have you lived in Singapore?
2) Where are you from originally?
I was born in Savannah, Georgia, lived in South Carolina until 12, and then moved to Washington, D.C.
3) What brought you here?
My husband, John, was offered a tenure-track position teaching Philosophy. It was either Singapore or rural Arkansas. Not a hard call.
4) What do you do in your spare time?
I like painting with my daughters Zoe and Violet, making 'saddest song ever' compilations, and collecting used vinyl LP's. I also run a funky shop with my partner Cheu Koh (www.likethatone.com). We sell vintage, rehabbed, and industrial furniture. Come check us out! We have a Nespresso machine so... coffee is on the house.
5) What do you like best about Singapore?
Having a full-time maid.
6) What do you like least?
It's too hot to walk anywhere.
7) Never leave the house without...?
8) Best weekend trip?
Villa Qunci, Lombok (Indonesia).
9) Interesting fact most people don't know about you?
I have an advanced degree in Classics from Berkeley. That, and I can apply mascara and curl eyelashes in a moving taxi.
10) What advice would you give someone who is about to move here?
Get a maid!