Helping me kickstart this new series is the lovely Germa Von Heydebreck- Stricker (pictured here with actor Ethan Hawke, just one of her many admirers). Over a glass of wine at a recent barbecue, I got the chance to sit down and have a chat with the super dynamo, expat mother of four.
1) How long have you lived in Singapore?
Almost 11 years.
2)Where are you from originally?
Hmmm, that's a tough one. I'm German but I grew up in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
3) What brought you here?
My husband Gerald's job. We came for a 2 yr contract with an option to extend for one year. That was more than a decade ago. When we arrived we were four, but then the twins came so now we are six: Alicia (13), Cecilia (11), Lennart and Victoria (9). They all go to the German European School.
4) What do you do in your spare time?
I work at the Goethe Institute organizing events for the language department (www.goethe.de/singapore), play competitive tennis, kickbox, and enjoy romantic dinners with my husband Gerald.
5) What do you like best about Singapore?
I love what most people hate: the weather, no seasons, eternal sunshine.
6) What do you like least about Singapore?
Friends moving away.
7) Never leave the house without?
8) Best weekend trip?
9) What's the most exciting thing about living here?
The incredible mix of cultures.
10) What advice would you give to someone who is about to move to Singapore?
Go out and meet people...there is so much to do here!