Wednesday, November 30, 2011

10 Questions To An Expat: Southern Belle























Second in line, for my newly introduced series: "10 Questions To An Expat" is mother of two, entrepreneur Belle Waring. I got to catch up with the stylish 'nobody wears vintage better,' queen of soul, over a slice of delicious home-made pecan pie. Yes, she cooks too.

1) How long have you lived in Singapore?
11 yrs.

2) Where are you from originally?
I was born in Savannah, Georgia, lived in South Carolina until 12, and then moved to Washington, D.C.

3) What brought you here?
My husband, John, was offered a tenure-track position teaching Philosophy. It was either Singapore or rural Arkansas. Not a hard call.

4) What do you do in your spare time?
I like painting with my daughters Zoe and Violet, making 'saddest song ever' compilations, and collecting used vinyl LP's. I also run a funky shop with my partner Cheu Koh (www.likethatone.com). We sell vintage, rehabbed, and industrial furniture. Come check us out! We have a Nespresso machine so... coffee is on the house.

5) What do you like best about Singapore?
Having a full-time maid.

6) What do you like least?
It's too hot to walk anywhere.

7) Never leave the house without...?
Make-up.

8) Best weekend trip?
Villa Qunci, Lombok (Indonesia).

9) Interesting fact most people don't know about you?
I have an advanced degree in Classics from Berkeley. That, and I can apply mascara and curl eyelashes in a moving taxi.

10) What advice would you give someone who is about to move here?
Get a maid!

2 comments: